This Army HIVE is open for visitors. An appointment system is in place so before your visit please email or phone the HIVE to book one. Please also ensure that ‘Hands, Face, Space’ is adhered to within the HIVE building and office to protect all visitors and staff. Alternatively our staff are available to answer your queries by email and telephone during the advertised office hours.

If you want to ensure that you receive the very latest information including official Army policy and guidance plus local insights, please contact the HIVE to be added to our distribution list for regular email updates. We abide by the Data Protection Act and you can withdraw your permission to receive our emails at any time.

Please also see HIVE’s other social media platforms: and Army HIVE Twitter @ArmyHIVEinfo

Monday, 11 January 2021

GHIC Card - Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is being phased out following the Brexit deal in favour of a new, free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).


This information is about visiting the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. There’s different guidance for healthcare if you’re:

·                visiting Spain

·                visiting Ireland

·                going to live, study or work in the EU

When you travel to an EU country you should have either:

a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
travel insurance with healthcare cover

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. Make sure you have both before you travel.
Each healthcare system is different, and in some countries you’ll need to pay to have treatment.

Apply for a GHIC

If you apply for a card now, you’ll get the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

They are both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.

If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC.

Apply for a GHIC for free on the NHS website.